As a gallery owner, my attention is focused on generating sales in our galleries, and helping artists learn how to get into galleries and build great relationships with gallery owners. As I’ve had the opportunity to interact with thousands of artists over the years, I’ve become fascinated with the many different ways artists make money. Some of those ways are by selling their art in unique ways, and others are art-related but not directly through the sale of art.
I will be writing more about some of the various ways artists generate cash flow, but I need your help.
Here is a list of seven ways that I’ve seen artists making money:
1. Selling artwork directly to buyers
2. Selling prints or reproductions of artwork
3. Selling products with artwork on them, such as t-shirts, mugs, or phone cases
4. Selling artwork through an art gallery
5. Selling artwork through an online art marketplace
6. Licensing artwork for use in commercials, films, or other media
7. Teaching art classes
How are you making money from your art?
Are you making money using the methods above? Which are currently most effective for you? What other ways are you making money from your art? Leave your experiences in the comments below. Your comment will help me with upcoming blog posts – thanks!